|PHOTO CREDIT: Motherhood In Style|
Dozing every time the bible is in front of you, sleeping in church, yawning tirelessly when you intend to pray or flatly falling asleep could be signs of spiritual weakness.
I've had many people ask, "Princess how have you managed to stay on fire through these years?"
In as much as I would love to say I knew a formula, the truth is I can't tell a sure-fire formula I’ve applied to be where I am with the Lord. However, I know one thing, Grace (JESUS) finds a man who seeks Him. Mathew 7:7 Click to Tweet this!
Many people say they want God to use them, they want to grow in Him and come to a place where they live a successful/stable Christian life but this same people, spend 18 hours in front of the television, social media, mundane conversations and the other 6 hours sleeping while expecting to become spiritual giants!
How can that be when life is about 'garbage in-garbage out’?
If you feed your flesh, it will gain strength and control your body; same thing happens when you feed your spirit.
If developing a stable prayer life or/and word life is important to you? Then you have to create a conducive environment for your spirit to become stable in the Lord.
How do you mean Princess Anne?
Well you remember that there is no smoke without a fire, right?
Spiritual weakness doesn't just happen. Certain things are responsible. Some of which are
1. Feeding the mind with carnal things instead of godly things
2. Procrastinating quiet time
3. Deliberately skipping church activities
4. Enjoying/Encouraging ungodly conversations around you
5. Procrastinating personal bible study time
6. Spiritual/Satanic attacks
7. Soul Wounds/Hurts/Offenses
In exception of number 6, everyone is responsible for creating a conducive environment for their spirits to blossom and grow stably in the Lord. In moments when a satanic/demonic interference is responsible, you are to take authority over them in the name of Jesus!
Perhaps you've found yourself feeling/being spiritually weak lately and you want a change. Here are 7 things to do
1. Diagnose: Take a moment to look over your life, activities, and events. How did you get here? Could it be you’re being too busy, encouraging laziness through procrastination on spiritual things, or you feel offended/wounded in your heart?
2. Exclaim: This simple sentence, “I need help Lord!” is more powerful than a six paged prayer when said from a sincere heart. Click to Tweet this!
Stop bottling up when you know that you aren’t where you used to be with the Lord anymore. Cry out for help. Then go talk to a spiritual authority or a Christian friend who is stronger at the moment.
3. Decide: Everything begins with a decision. Make up your mind to get back to a stable prayer, study or Christian life generally. If a part of you still enjoys the laziness, the sleep, the missing church, the procrastination, sorry baby, nothing is going to change.
How badly do you want to get back your fire?
4. Commit: So now you’ve decided to resume your morning/mid-day or night devotion, never deliberately miss church? Commit to it!
If you’ve decided to read a chapter of the bible a day, then do it no matter how busy the day gets at work or at home.
See, this thing works like pregnancy prevention pills-If you skip one, take it as soon as you remember. Same thing goes with your prayer schedule or word study schedule- if you missed it, then do it as soon as you remember. If you can’t when you remember, then set an alarm on your phone until you get it done.
We have to be intentional about our growth in the Lord. Nothing just happens you know? Click to Tweet this!
5. Tongue: Oh darling, I couldn’t have skipped this one. Praying in tongues is as powerful as the word powerful itself. Click to Tweet this!
When you pray in tongues, you edify your spirit man (1 Corinthians 14:4). The Greek word for edify in that scripture is Oikodomeo pronounced oy-kod-om-eh'-o it means to build up from the foundation or to restore by building or repairing (source: Bible study tools). How powerful that is!
Think about your spirit as a house that got burnt or ruined by a thunder with its roof off and blocks ruined here and there. Now when you pray in the spirit (tongues), the house begins to repair itself automatically from its foundation to the roof! That’s what happens when you pray in tongues. Do so often!!
6. Create: Create a consistent atmosphere of worship around you. You might say, “Anne you don’t know where I work. It isn’t possible”. Well darling, you are a spirit and your environment shouldn’t decide what happens to you. You should!
The human spirit has a tremendous ability to create by thoughts and words; how much more does the spirit of a believer. Speak sanity into your environment- home or work. Listen to gospel music often, take little pauses in moments to focus on God and acknowledge His presence even if it’s just for five seconds.
Personally, I take out time often to just say, “Hello Christ, I love you” or Hey Handsome, I’m thinking about you”. Oh yes I do this every day of my life, many times in a day and I listen for His voice.
Jesus is sooo sweet, I tell you. You won’t want to lose consciousness of His presence when you start acknowledging Him often.
7. Keep-At-It: As drugs don’t work if you take them once and abandon them, so does the things I’ve said. You have to be consistent. Do numbers 1-6 like a ritual until you start doing them naturally and soon you will never recall the last time you felt spiritually weak!
Come Up Here
Come Up Here
Committed to your wholeness,
|Anne Atulaegwu at Eagle's Soar Conference 2016|